November 5, 2010

birthday boy

Today is Matt's 30th birthday! I wanted to do something special this year so I decided to throw him a (kid-less) surprise party. Our moms had a trip scheduled and are out of town this weekend so I decided to do it early. I picked Monday--a day he would least suspect a party. Since he has been working late everyday (and going in on Saturdays) I made up an excuse for him to be home at 6:30pm. I planned to have 4 couples over for dinner. The kids were spending the night at Grandma Cheryl and Grandpa Kirk's house. I was losing my mind running around getting things ready and making the food. Kristen came over to help. I was so excited to see his face I could hardly sleep the night before (and I had a million details running through my head).
At about 5:15pm I heard the front door open and for a split second I thought it might be Chris bringing something by that I needed. Then I realized I heard the key in the door. I ran to the front door screaming, "NOOOOOOO!" I pushed Matt back out the front door and yelled, "Don't come back until 6:30!" I quickly closed the door, okay I guess I slammed the door because it closes easily and I couldn't believe everything I had been planning and losing my mind about was just ruined. I could see the top of Matt's head out the window still there. I opened the door and said, "Don't come back for an hour!" He just said, "Are you serious?!" I was so bummed! I didn't even get to see his face. It would have been fine that he walked in at that time, except that we already had the table set for 10 and Happy birthday signs up and 50 pictures all across the walls. He had been working so much that he wanted to surprise me and come home early. (Side note: Matt calls or texts me almost everyday while he's walking to his car to let me know he's on his way home.) Oh well! We still had fun. I served prime rib, mashed potatoes, green beans, salad and bread sticks. I never would have attempted prime rib but my mom suggested it and my dad helped me out. It was awesome. I made ice cream cake for dessert. We played VCR Clue which was lots of fun. Matt had been wanting to play for some time. I was so excited that Cheryl was able to find some great pictures of Matt growing up. I'm sure it took her hours to go through so many pictures, scan and print them. Thank you, Cheryl! We have left them up all week to celebrate: ). Happy 30th birthday, Matt! I'm so lucky to have you in my life. I love you!

1 comment:

TheGefrom5 said...

Welcome to 30 , Matt! i hope you find your skin wrinkling, hair thining, muscles depleted and aching just like the rest of us! Oh, and the best years of your life! They really are great:) Happy Bday!
Wendy, Awesome job on the party and decor! I loved the pics and all your hardwork on your furniture..they look great!!